Monday, September 24, 2012

Jobs

Today I went and observed a sub culture for my ethnography. I went to a Park Nicolette clinic in St. Louis Park with Johanna. While we were there, we interviewed technicians and a doctor to get the scoop on how things went down there. I found it interesting that the vibes we got were that the clinic was calm and quiet, it wasn't busy like I thought it would be. Then we asked the doctor if he liked his job. He said yes, especially the hospital part where he performed the surgery and not so much to clinical work because it required talking to people a lot. Overall, though we got the impression he enjoyed his job tremendously. The head nurse said the same thing as well as the Chief Cast Technician, who makes casts for people. This got me thinking that no matter what I end up doing after college, even if it doesn't work out the first time (it didn't for the head nurse) at least I will make sure its something I enjoy. Why do people waste their lives for jobs they hate and that are meaningless? Does money matter that much?

1 comment:

  1. My dad worked a stressful, painful job that ended up permanently injuring his back and his pride for six years. He regrets it every day, but he felt guilty about not helping his family and carried on anyway. I feel bad that many other people are either deluded into chasing the almighty dollar or are forced into soul-draining labor just to get by because they never had resources. Sad.

    ReplyDelete