Thursday, September 27, 2012

What is the "new normal"?

So lately I have been watching this new show called "The New Normal" with Andrew Rannells and Justing Bartha playing a gay couple. It's a very controversial show in my opinion. It challenges what the typical American family should look like now by saying two gay parents and a kid is the "new normal". I'm not opposed to gay parents having a child, and in some ways it would benefit the kid, but how can this show say this is the new normal. Are there really that many gay couples with kids to constitute a TV show about their lives? I would think a TV about divorced couples more "normal". And the latest episode is about politics, and boy does it get nasty. It's a very funny show but shocking too because I have never seen anything like this on TV. The one character, Nanna, is such a racist old grandma that I cannot the things she says. If you want to watch a show that makes your jaw drop, then this would be great.

2 comments:

  1. Personally I feel there is no "normal" right now, views in this world are changing so frequently and rapidly that people are adapting to everything at once. This perception of normal from the 50's 60's and other time periods we can all agree has changed from normal to a minority. But in this case of "normal" being a gay couple with a child, hey maybe this is the new normal in some peoples eyes. To me at this time in history there is no "normal."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that show was named as such simply as a "shocker" to incite
    comments and questioning of what the new normal really is. I agree
    that this is not yet "normal" and in fact is still illegal in most places. I
    don't know why gay lives are so intriguing to TV producers; if people
    really weren't homophobic they wouldn't be so obsessed with the
    lives of gays. I still think the show's title is sarcastic, to an extent.

    ReplyDelete