Thursday, September 20, 2012

Teaching Tech

The other day at tech for the musical, I was reminded why I loved it so much. Not only do I get to enhance my building skills for the future and improve friendships, but I also get to teach incoming noobies. Some of them are freshmen who have never lifted a drill in their life while others are experienced but it's their first time helping. Well on this particular day I had the honor of working with this really great kid, Victoria. She's a freshman and she doesn't know the difference between a screw and a nail, she gets confused by the buttons on the drill (reverse or forward) and it took her 2 minutes to drill one screw. And even though right now she isn't skilled, I know for a fact that she can become skilled: because not once did she give up. Even when I taught her how to use a giant table saw, she didn't wimp out, she stayed strong and tried something new. What I'm trying to get at is that I feel good when I can teach someone something important to me and watch them improve. I think she felt good too because now she is nearly a pro. Activities like this also help me to improve my teaching abilities and, to some degree, my patience. I was very proud of her though and hope to meet many more kids like her.

2 comments:

  1. She did better than I did. I'm still freakin' scared of that saw. This sounds like my first few times at tech; instead of you, however, it was Jason and Derek Lund teaching me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The feeling of teaching someone something new successfully is probably only surpassed by the feeling of actually mastering that something. Although I'm not sure, as I'm usually on the learner end of the spectrum.

    ReplyDelete