Thursday, October 25, 2012

IB Diploma

Has anyone ever talked with Ms. Larson and found out the percentage of dip cans who gain an IB diploma? I feel like that's an important stat that I never heard before I joined the program. Is it a lot of people? Ms. Larson often talks about how kids get college credit for certain courses, but does that mean they rocked one course, did poorly in others, and didn't get the diploma. My mom really wants me to get this diploma, and I will try,  but is it really all that? I am tired and a bit skeptic this morning, I was just wondering.

3 comments:

  1. Most of us who try to get the diploma will get it. However, there are some of us who may not, and that's just based on the way IB sees our work. If you don't get it, you'll still get into college and maybe even get credit for the classes you tried in. The IB diploma is just a bonus achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Diploma itself carries no significance in a majority of colleges. For the most part, it is all about points. Just because you don't get the diploma, doesn't mean that you wont get the credit. For instance, I had a Diploma Candidate friend and he failed to get it. He scored 28 points, but had a bad EE and TOK presentation/paper. He still got tons of credit at the school he is attending now. Don't worry too much about it, it is more of an accolade (that you've worked towards for two years now). I think the percentage may be lower than you think though. I would guess approximately 1/2 to 2/3 of candidates get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just asked Mrs. Larson this the other day! She said that 50-66% is about average. Strange to think some of us won't receive it, but like Christian said, it doesn't really matter!

    ReplyDelete