Sunday, October 14, 2012

Water-Pop Incident


So last Friday, nearly all of us went to the U of M library, and then out for lunch for a break. My friends and I went to Chipotle, and one of my friends, who shall remain unnamed, asked for a glass for water and then filled it up with pop. She did not pay for the pop, and really nobody saw nor cared among the workers. Does Chipotle try to address this issue at all? I was just wondering. Plus, shouldn't the individual think about the ethics of what they are doing? Technically it's stealing, and I'm not trying to make my friend feel bad if she ever reads this, I was just observing. What my friend did is minor, but what about people who do things on a larger scale? I cannot name any right now, but you know what I mean? How can people in the world do things and not feel remorseful? I also wonder what other people's roles are in an issue like this, the friends for instance. We all ate together and chastised our friend for what she did but did not take any action. It was a slap on the wrist I guess you could say, and truthfully it was probably pointless because she might just go on to the next Chipotle down the road and repeat. Anyways, do we (the friends) then take responsibility for someone's choices? I know this is about stupid pop-stealing incident, but can you see where I am going with this?

1 comment:

  1. I have been guilty of this exact offense but only when I was young and less prudent. In terms of bigger offenses, people often justify their actions by thinking it's not a big deal. They are deluded into thinking what they did was acceptable or even righteous. Our own morals are reflected in a sense when we allow others to commit acts.

    ReplyDelete